- Born: Cir 1765, Lymington, Hampshire, Engalnd
- Marriage: Sophia Mitchell on 23 Aug 1787 in Lymington, Hampshire, Engalnd 1
- Died: Bef 5 Mar 1799, Lymington, Hampshire, Engalnd 2
1. BENJAMIN5 WICKENDEN (JOSEPH4, THOMAS3, SAMUEL2, ANTONY1) was born Abt. 1765 in Lymington, Hants, and died Bef. March 05, 1799 in Lymington, Hants. He married SOPHIA MITCHELL August 23, 1787 in Lymington.
Notes for BENJAMIN WICKENDEN:
Benjamin, started a brick making factory in Walhampton. The area is famous for its clay which produced a white brick. His wife Sophia Mitchell is listed in Comyn's New Forest to be managing the factory in 1817. Benjamin and his wife must have built the large house in Walhampton which still stands and is known as "Undershore House". The factory is now gone but the road beside Undershore House still bears the name "Factory Road"
Children of BENJAMIN WICKENDEN and SOPHIA MITCHELL are:
2. i. BENJAMIN BURT WICKENDEN6 SR, b. Bet. 1788 - 1790, Lymington, Hants; d. Bef. September 1847, London St George East.
3. ii. GEORGE WICKENDEN, b. Bet. 1792 - 1793, Lymington, Hants; d. Bef. June 1843, Taunton.
iii. JOSEPH, b. Bef. November 22, 1797.
iv. RICHARD MITCHELL WICKENDEN, b. Aft. November 22, 1797, Lymington, Hants; d. Bet. May 16 - June 28, 1820, Lymington, Hants.
Notes for RICHARD MITCHELL WICKENDEN:
He was a grocer and when he died his will left everything to his mother Sophia, whose oath proved his will.
Descendants of Benjamin Wickenden
Generation No. 2
2. BENJAMIN BURT WICKENDEN6 SR (BENJAMIN5 WICKENDEN, JOSEPH4, THOMAS3, SAMUEL2, ANTONY1) was born Bet. 1788 - 1790 in Lymington, Hants, and died Bef. September 1847 in London St George East. He married PHEBE SHEPPARD September 16, 1813 in Boldre Parish Lymington.
Notes for BENJAMIN BURT WICKENDEN SR:
Benjamin, according to family lore, supposedly lost the family estates through his reputed gambling habit. Documents exist in the archives in Winchester, Hants detailing the sale of the estates in 1820 for 2200 pounds. However, the funds were distributed to Benjamin's uncle Joseph, (1,000 pounds) and to a family friend (perhaps Benjamin's father-in-law Richard Mitchell] for (1200 pounds]. The proceeds of "The Brickplace" was 1400 pounds and was received by Benjamin. Benjamin then moved to London with his wife, perhaps near his son Thomas.
The only proof fo the gambling story is the circumstantial evidence that Benjamin's son Benjamin, and Benjamin sr's brother George moved their families to Taunton and went into the confectionery business, and that Benjamin did not receive any of the funds from the sale of the family estates himself..
According to Pigot's Commercial Directory for 1823-1824 both he and his brother George are listed as brickmakers. The 1830 directory lists Benjamin as a brick maker and a potter, while now lists George as a China Glass dealer and grocer and tea dealer on High Street.
Children of BENJAMIN SR and PHEBE SHEPPARD are:
4. i. BENJAMIN BURT7 WICKENDEN, b. Abt. 1817, Lymington, Hants; d. May 20, 1883, Weston Super-Mare, Somerset.
5. ii. THOMAS MITCHELL WICKENDEN, b. Abt. 1818, Walhampton, Hants; d. June 1898, Chippenham.
iii. MATILDA SARAH WICKENDEN, b. Bet. 1820 - 1821, Walhampton, Hants; d. June 1854, Taunton.
6. iv. EMILY PHOEBE WICKENDEN, b. Bet. 1826 - 1827, Walhampton, Hants.
v. ELIZABETH MITCHELL WICKENDEN, b. Bet. 1832 - 1833, Walhampton, Hants; m. MILFORD KEMP, May 28, 1855, Portishead, Somerset.
3. GEORGE6 WICKENDEN (BENJAMIN5, JOSEPH4, THOMAS3, SAMUEL2, ANTONY1) was born Bet. 1792 - 1793 in Lymington, Hants, and died Bef. June 1843 in Taunton. He married MARY MURSELL 1819 in Lymington, Hants.
Children of GEORGE WICKENDEN and MARY MURSELL are:
i. MARY AUGUSTA7 WICKENDEN, b. Abt. 1820; m. UNKNOWN MARY HUSBAND, December 1861, Bridgwater, England.
ii. JANE BURT WICKENDEN, b. Abt. 1821; m. CHARLES EPHRAIM PRATT, June 1846, Taunton.
iii. HARRIET GRACE WICKENDEN, b. Abt. 1823.
iv. ANNE DRAWBRIDGE WICKENDEN, b. Abt. 1824, Lymington, Hants; d. December 1842, Taunton.
Benjamin married Sophia Mitchell, daughter of (father of William) Mitchell and Unknown, on 23 Aug 1787 in Lymington, Hampshire, Engalnd.1 (Sophia Mitchell was born Cal 1763 in Hampshire and died in 1848 in Lymington (reg) 3 4.)