Katherine Duncan 2 3
- Born: 27 Dec 1790
- Christened: 30 Dec 1790, Cullen 4
- Marriage: John Fraser on 5 Oct 1816 in Cullen 1
- Died: 16 Apr 1862, Cullen 5
The Cullen OPR also shows that Alexander Duncan, surgeon RN, and his wife, Elspet, had a daughter born 27/12/1790 who was baptized at Cullen with the name Katherine "designed after Katherine Duncan in Broom, the grandmother of the child". Katherine Duncan the grandmother could be surgeon Alexander's mother or his wife Elspet's mother as they were both Duncans but this is most probably Kattie Grant. The witnesses to the baptism are John Wilson Esq. of Cullen and Mrs. Wilson who is grand-aunt to the child.
Katherine (or Catherine) Duncan (born 27/12/1790), lawful daughter of surgeon Alexander Duncan, married John Fraser at Cullen on 5/10/1816. We know from Alexander's will dated 1825 that his daughter's husband was then cashier for the Earl of Seafield in Cullen. Seafield Road today runs west from Lintmill about a mile south of Cullen. Burnside is to the east of Lintmill. From the Cullen MIs, John Fraser died 30/11/1848 aged 70 and his wife Catherine died 16/4/1862 aged 71. This puts their birth dates at 1778 and 1791 respectively.
They had thirteen children, all baptized at Cullen.
(1) Alexander Fraser (b.1817), died at North Berwick 2/9/1866 aged 49
(2) Mary Ann Grant Fraser (b.1818)
(3) James Fraser (b.1819), died at Bathurst, NSW 18/6/1861 aged 42
(4) John Duncan Fraser (b.1821), died Demerara, W. Indies 31/5/1837 aged 16
(5) William Fraser (b.1822), died Poonah, HEICS, 19/9/1847 aged 25
(6) Thomas Fraser (b.1823), died at sea on passage from India, 14/2/1857 aged 34
(7) Catharine Innes Fraser (b.1824), died at Rangoon 13/9/1855 aged 31
(8) Robert Fraser (b.1825)
(9) George Fraser (b.1827)
(10) Elcy Fraser (b.17/10/1828)
(11) Elizabeth Hay Fraser (b.25/12/1829)
(12) Eliza Hay Fraser (b.25/12/1830)
(13) Margaret Fraser (b.1/10/1831)
Katherine married John Fraser on 5 Oct 1816 in Cullen.1 (John Fraser was born circa 1790 in not Banffshire and died on 30 Nov 1848 in Cullen 6.)